WHEELING — Father William C. Mayer, CSV, was born Jan. 23, 1929 in Kankakee and passed away on Dec. 9 at Addolorata Villa here.
Father Mayer professed his first vows on Aug. 19, 1947 at the Viatorian Novitiate in Chicago and his final vows on Aug. 19, 1950 at St. Joseph Church in Springfield. He was ordained to the priesthood on Feb. 2, 1956 at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.
He attended his freshman year of high school at Cathedral Boys High School in Springfield and graduated from St. Patrick High School in Kankakee in 1945. He received a bachelor’s in philosophy from St. Ambrose College, Davenport, Iowa, in 1951; a master’s in sociology/Catholic social principles from Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., in 1956; and a master’s in religious formation from Manhattan College, New York City in 1971. In addition, he earned an all grade supervisory certificate for the state of Illinois from DePaul University, Chicago in 1967.
Father Mayer taught high school at Spalding Institute in Peoria (1956-1958); at St. Philip High School, Chicago (1958-1960); at his alma mater St. Patrick High School, Kankakee (1960-1966); at Bishop McNamara High School, Kankakee (1966-1971) where he served as both teacher and administrator; and at Griffin High School, Springfield (1971-1978). He then turned to teaching adult religious education at St. Bede Priory, Eau Claire, Wis. (1978-1981); the Franciscan Spirituality Center, La Crosse, Wis. (1984-1986); and St. Mary and St. Eulalia Catholic Churches, Winchester, Mass. (1986-1991). From 1991 to 1996 he continued teaching adult classes at the Church of the Holy Ghost, Wood Dale, where he remained as a sacramental minister after his retirement to the Viatorian Province Center retirement residence in 2005.
He was preceded in death by his parents Albert and Ruth and by his two sisters Patricia Haarer and Kathleen McEvilly. He is survived by his dear friend Sister Clare Fitzgerald, SSND, PhD., of Boston.
Visitation followed by a Mass of Christian Burial was held in the Viatorian Province Center Chapel in Arlington Heights. Interment was at Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Hillside.