ST. LOUIS — Sister Francis Marie Thrailkill, OSU, died peacefully Oct. 2 at Our Lady of Wisdom Healthcare Center in New Orleans. She was a former president of Springfield College in Illinois.
The daughter of Franklin and Mary Myrtle Huggins Thrailkill, she was born Barbara Ann Thrailkill on Sept. 21, 1937, in San Antonio, Texas. She graduated from Ursuline Academy in San Antonio and entered the Ursuline Sisters in 1955, making her vows in 1958.
GLEN CARBON — Deacon Jerry L. Cato II, 52, of Edwardsville, passed away at his home on Oct. 12.
He was born Jan.17, 1968 in Granite City, a son of the late Jerry and Patricia Jane (Piggott) Cato.
ALTON — Sister M. Julia Kuropka, FSGM, died on Sept. 22 at St. Francis Convent Infirmary in Alton. She was 94.
Sister M. Julia was born on March 26, 1926, in Werden, Kreis, Oels., Diocese of Breslau, Germany. She entered the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George on March 5, 1953, was received into the novitiate on Oct. 3, 1953, and made her first profession of vows on Oct. 4, 1955, all in Germany. She consecrated herself to the Lord forever in final profession on Sept. 16, 1959, at the St. Francis Convent in Alton. She celebrated her Golden Jubilee in the motherhouse on Oct. 16, 2004, and her Diamond Jubilee in Alton, on Oct. 5, 2014.
JACKSONVILLE — Earlier this year, Routt Catholic High School (RCHS) administrators had the privilege of selecting then-junior, Abigail “Abby” Beddingfield, as the recipient of the Francis J. Clancy/Kiwanis Citizenship Award. The award is presented annually to an underclassman to recognize the student’s efforts in service and leadership. Abby completed an incredible 192 service hours during the 2019-2020 school year.
Soup up your Halloween with fresh soups and chili to go, made from scratch by Catholic Charities St. John’s Breadline on Friday, Oct. 30 at the Catholic Pastoral Center circle driveway in Springfield, 1615 W. Washington, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Victoria Fellhauer, a senior at Routt Catholic High School in Jacksonville, was named a Commended Student in the 2021 National Merit Scholarship Program.
Sister Mary Regina Berkel, OP, 79, of Springfield, passed away on Sept. 14 at HSHS St. John’s Hospital. She was born May 15, 1941, in Queen’s Lake Memphis, the daughter of George F. and Irene Elizabeth (Farthing) Berkel who preceded her in death.
At the age of 21, she entered the Dominican Monastery in Catonsville, Md. Her religious profession was on Oct. 25, 1964.
RUMA — Sister Mary Jane (Mary Victor) Schrage, ASC, died Sept. 19 at the Ruma Center. She was 85 years old and had been a professed Adorer of the Blood of Christ for 67 years.
She was born on Aug. 14, 1935 in St. Rose, one of six children in the family of the late William and Alma (Goestenkors) Schrage.
The novel coronavirus pandemic has brought a time of uncertainty, discomfort, and illness. We could never imagine empty pews at the Cathedral for Sunday Mass or asking priests to celebrate Mass alone and share it online with their parishioners. Many of us are unsure of the year ahead and the changes still to come which may cause disruption in our lives. However, during challenging times we are called to respond as disciples. The novel coronavirus pandemic has brought a time of uncertainty, discomfort, and illness. We could never imagine empty pews at the Cathedral for Sunday Mass or asking priests to celebrate Mass alone and share it online with their parishioners. Many of us are unsure of the year ahead and the changes still to come which may cause disruption in our lives. However, during challenging times we are called to respond as disciples.
TROY — At the end of September, St. Jerome Catholic Parish will mark two anniversaries: the 150th of the parish, and the 1,600th of the death of its patron saint.
In 1870, the Catholic Christians of Troy began celebrating Mass in a rented room above a blacksmith’s shop. Priests from Highland served at Troy until the late 19th century, when the parish managed to secure a resident pastor. The parish campus has been at its present location along South Main Street since the 1890s. The current church building was dedicated in 1987.