Sunday, 20 September 2020 23:01

St. Jerome Parish observes anniversaries

09 20 2020 St. Jerome Troy 150th Ann. committee with signTROY — At the end of September, St. Jerome Catholic Parish will mark two anniversaries: the 150th of the parish, and the 1,600th of the death of its patron saint.

In 1870, the Catholic Christians of Troy began celebrating Mass in a rented room above a blacksmith’s shop. Priests from Highland served at Troy until the late 19th century, when the parish managed to secure a resident pastor. The parish campus has been at its present location along South Main Street since the 1890s. The current church building was dedicated in 1987.

The parish was named for St. Jerome (born around 347; died Sept. 30, 420), a presbyter (priest, elder) from the Balkan region of Europe, who lived, at various times, in Rome, Jerusalem, and Bethlehem. He is best known for his translation of the Old and New Testaments of the Bible from the original Hebrew and Greek to the common Latin spoken in his time.

The parishioners of St. Jerome will hold a variety of celebrations from Sunday, Sept. 27, through Sunday, Oct. 4, which happens to be the 33rd anniversary of the dedication of the church building. A special invitation is offered to the Troy community to an ecumenical celebration of the Word of God, as we consider the importance of translation of Scripture and the impact of the divine Word upon the hearts of believers. This ecumenical celebration will take place on Tuesday, Sept. 29, at 7 p.m., at St. Jerome Church and will be livestreamed on the church’s Facebook page. Those who wish to attend in person are directed to R.S.V.P. at stjeromeparish.org.